Wholewheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread



I have to say I was quite intimidated with sourdough. I guess it must have been my first couple of attempts at making my own starter- which I only got right on the third or fourth try. I guess it's got to do with the temperature here- most books and blogs I've read give recipes are based in places where room temperatures generally stay around 21 degrees - but here in Singapore it's so hot our room temp go up to 30 degrees! Plus it's really humid and that does somewhat affect the flour- it's doesn't quite absorb as much water as that in other places- so trust me, I've had my share of working with ultra soft and gloopy dough as runny as pancake batter. But that's okay- it's all part of the experience I guess :) 



Sourdough bread continues to inspire me everyday- it never fails to excite me! I made this loaf because I wanted something soft and fluffy to spread on my peanut butter, but also using my starter because I needed to refresh it before it dies out in the fridge. It doesn't disappoint- the bread is really nice and fluffy! Got to try increasing the ratio of wholewheat to bread flour, though, to get more flavour and more of the good stuff. I added a little yeast (just 1/8 tsp) to my dough just to be safe, but you could totally leave it out if your starter is really nice and active and bubbly.


Wholewheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread

200g bread flour
100g wholewheat flour
10g milk powder
100g sourdough starter
15g sugar
5g salt
100g milk
90-100g water
15g butter

Combine all the ingredients except butter, mix till soft and elastic.
Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is smooth and elastic and passes the windowpane test.
Let rise till doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Divide dough into 3 portions. Roll out into a long rectangle, the roll up like a swiss roll. Place in a greased/ lined Pullman tin.
Let rise till doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 35-40 min.



Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment