Wholewheat Peanut Butter Cookies

Chewy cookies with crisp edges and full of peanut-buttery goodness. 



Okay I made these cookies because I bought a jar of Adams chunky natural peanut butter that was expiring in a week so it was going at half price. Typical me- I can't resist discounts! My parents thought I was crazy buying a huge jar of peanut butter that was going to expire so soon and our house already full of peanut butter, but I wasn't worried because I already had these cookies in mind haha. 

I love peanut butter- more than any other food in the world. I make bread just so I can smear if with a good load of peanut butter. I remember eating Skippy's chocolate swirled peanut butter as a kid, relishing the sweet swirls of chocolate on slices of supermarket white bread. I loved folding my sandwich in half and taking a big bite in the middle with the softest bit of bread and the most amount of peanut butter before finally nibbling the golden crust sides. I love peanut butter straight out of the jar- it's my favourite mid-afternoon pick me up after a tiring day of homework and school and exams, and I remember making a wrap with warm goey peanut butter, soft bananas and unctuous melted dark chocolate in the middle of a tiring study period- it was so comforting and the world felt like a better place all at once. 


I remember licking spoonfuls of peanut butter and going back to the fridge to get another spoonful, and another spoonful even as I keep telling myself I've had enough. I remember smothering peanut butter on digestive biscuits and eating them as I read my chemistry notes (they're so good!). I remember how much I loved eating peanut butter stuffed Oreos, especially those with half chocolate and half peanut butter. Better than any other Oreos in the world (even better than matcha Oreos, I swear). 

Most of all I love eating peanut butter cookie dough. Okay I admit I ate a few big spoonfuls of the dough because it couldn't fit into the pan- excuses (haha). 


I feel like I have a special bond with peanut butter- the same bond I share with baked cheesecakes (the first thing I baked by myself), mooncakes (the yearly tradition with my mum) and sourdough bread (many, many attempts but still very meh). For me, peanut butter is instant gratification. There's something about the sweet-salty creaminess that is so comforting and satisfying. When I'm sad and tired, a spoonful of peanut butter always, always makes me happy. 

Wholewheat Peanut Butter Cookies 

65g plain flour 
60g wholewheat flour 
3/4 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp kosher salt 
200g chunky peanut butter 
115g unsalted butter, softened 
130g light brown sugar 
70g granulated sugar 
2 tbsp honey 
1 egg 
1 tsp vanilla 
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling 

Whisk together dry ingredients. 
In a large bowl, cream butter and peanut butter till light and fluffy. Add in sugars, and cream till fluffy. Stir in egg, vanilla and honey. 
Fold in the dry ingredients. 
Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze for at least 15 minutes, till firm on the outside. 
Dip a fork in warm water, and make the classic crosshatch on the cookies. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt. 
Bake 180 degrees Celsius, for about 16 minutes. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment